Thursday, July 31, 2008

Money, Money, Money....

Hannah had a play date today with her friend Anna.

Anna's family has a lot of money. She takes theater class, piano and dance and is being tutored over the summer (she is also going into pre-first).
Hannah gave Anna a tour of the house, the same way that Wes and I do when people come over (it was quite cute). "This is the downstairs bathroom but we have another one UPSTAIRS!!!!" (Very enthusiastically:)
Hannah gets done giving the tour and Anna asks why our house is so small (really it is not that small) Hannah shows her the backyard. Anna sees that there is a large pool and trampoline, which belong to our neighbors. Anna asks, is that your pool? Hannah says "No" and Anna says "OH!!!" and then she asks Hannah "Is that your trampoline?" Hannah says "No" and Anna says "OH!!!" Then Anna looks in the driveway and asks Hannah where the cars are? Hannah tells her that Wes is at work and that we only have one car.
People, what is going on? Have things gotten that bad that 5 yr olds are now taking score of what you have and do not have and then they decide your child's social standing? This is exactly the reason why children are such brats and are not learning manners, their parents are more obsessed with what they have than who they are. I am getting fed up with people judging us for how much money we have or what kind of car we drive. Honestly I don't care if you are rich or poor just as long as you have a good heart and try to be a good person.
Audrey and Hannah have a lot more than I ever did, I grew up poor (with my Mom) during the school year and rich (with my Dad) during the summer...talk about confusing. I hated going back to being poor so I understand the desire to want things and want the "good life" but I learned a very valuable lesson: IN-BETWEEN is better. Being poor tears your heart out and being rich turns it to stone. This is a lesson that we are trying hard to teach the girls, work hard and get an education so you can support yourself, but at the same time never take what you have for granted because it can be taken from you at any time. Getting rid of the cable and what-not is teaching them that they will not die without certain "luxuries". Life and Hannah Montana will go on without them.
I have talked about the over-the-top birthday parties that we have been to while living here in New York, and the girls parties coming up I know there is going to be a certain expectation and guess what...I don't care. Just as long as the girls are happy that is all that matters (and the food is good:)

2 comments:

Susanna Johnson said...

that's rough. especially when it's 5 year olds! my kids will grow up like I did- ha. well, almost. myabe not that poor. Grin. I think you're right on with wanting them to work hard and be in the middle.

princessica said...

It's sad that people pass their insecurities and materialism on to their kids. I have nannied kids that were really rich ( Braedan) and middle classed, and a little poor. Everyone is rich because we have love and life and laughter. Wealth should be obsolete.
As long as there is food on the table and clothes on your back- the nessesities...I am happy. Its empowering to realise that it dosent take much to live. I agree with you that childeren should not measure their self worth on how much people have.
yuck!