Monday, July 14, 2008

A Weekend With The Girls

I have had my nieces Danielle (8) and Delaney (10) visiting for four days. Audrey and Hannah have been over the moon. We have been eating lots of junk food, playing games, putting on plays, watching movies, shopping and we had a bonfire. All the things that makes being a girl fun!!!

We went and saw the new American Girl movie, Kit. The theater was full of girls, Mothers and Grandparents, it made for a real cozy atmosphere. The movie is about a 10 yr old girl who comes from a well - to -do middle class family and subsequently loses everything during the Great Depression. You follow Kit and her friends as they lose their homes, Fathers (they leave to go look for work elsewhere), and have to worry about money just as much as their parents. I was surprised at how well the movie portrayed the prejudice that the upper class felt for those who had lost everything and ended up living in Hobo camps. Of course the movie has a happy ending but by the end of it I had tears running down my face along with every other Mother. The girls did not understand why the movie made me so sad...it had a happy ending. I could not help but think about what Wes and I would do in that situation and how I did not want the girls to go through such a hardship. The scary thing about it is that this country going into another "Great Depression" during the girls lifetime is a real possibility, it feels like it is looming in the shadows. That movie hit real close to home. (By the way this movie had a GREAT cast!!!!)

We broke down this week and got the Cell phone turned on. I will admit, it was very peaceful not having a phone. It was major pain in the butt but it had "that stranded on a island feeling" with only you your thoughts (if you can understand what I am talking about).

Wes clipped off the most beautiful Zuchinni from our garden this morning. Yay!!!! Eurika, we have vegetables.

1 comments:

princessica said...

2 things- 1- congrats on growing your own veggies! thats amazing. Dosent it seem miraculous? put a seed in the earth, water it, make sure it gets sunshine. poof! theres a plant! and then another Poof! theres veggies!
I'm sure you will come up with something amazing to make with them!

and 2- I havent seen any adds for the american girl movie here- maybe its not playing in canada. Hmmm.
xoxo