Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Zucchini Coming Out Of My Ears...

We are eating so much Zucchini that it has become a new food group. It might sound like I am compaining but I am not. Wes was so good at makig the garden a success that the Zucchini is extremely bountiful and twice as big as the ones in the market. I love having fresh veg almost daily that we made with our own two hands. We have cucumbers also but not as abundant as the Zucchini. The tomatoes are still green but there are a TON of them...so soon I will have tomatoes coming out my ears.

I have a bazillion Zucchini recipes but this Zucchini Spice Bread Recipe is the best and the talk of the neighbors. It is very easy to make.

Zucchini Spice Bread

Serves 12...Prep Time -15 Minutes...Cooking Time 45-70 min
9x5x3 inch loaf pan greased...

(If you plan to bake this bread in a smaller loaf pan, be sure to fill it no more than three-quarters full to prevent the batter from overflowing in the oven).

Nonstick cooking spray
1 large zucchini
1 cup packed light - brown sugar
2 tbs granulated sugar
2/3 cup vegetable oil or canola oil
2 tsp vanilla
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups all -purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
3/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/8 tsp ground cloves
3/4 tsp salt

1 - Preheat oven to 350 degress. Lightly coat a 9x5x3 inch loaf pan with cooking spray, and set aside. Grate zucchini on the large holes of a box grater (to yield 1 3/4 cups); set aside. In a large bowl, whisk together sugars, oil, vanilla and eggs.

2 - In a small bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves and salt. Add flour mixture to egg mixture, and stir to combine well. Stir in grated zucchini.

3 - Pour batter into prepared pan, spreading evenly. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 45-70 min (depending on oven) comes out clean. Cool in pan 15 minutes; invert onto a wire rack, then reinvert, top side up. Cool completely before slicing.

4 - Serve with butter

P.S. I can not wait till Friday night. I am going to get Breaking Dawn and don't plan on sleeping until I am finished. Lets just hope that Stephanie Meyer does the right thing so that I, Jenny Jordan, will not be forced to picket at my local Barnes and Noble:P

0 comments: