Monday, June 16, 2008

Off the Grid...

I have a gardening question...

I need to know why our tomato blossoms are drying up and falling off. Can any of you tell me why? Is this normal?

Last summer we had major problems with our digital modem which ended up being a long, huge hassle to fix (we did not have service for a long time). During that time we saved money that we would have paid for cable, phone and internet and were able to do more summer activites with the girls. It turned out so well that we decided every summer after "Good T.V." was finished and school got out, that we would go off the grid. So we got rid of the cable, internet and phone (and are now only using a cell phone). This will accomplish many things...it forces me to leave the house and to go to the library (unless I have errands I never go out during the week) to use the internet. I have a HUGE internet addiction so this is going to be really hard for me to do. I will still be blogging, just no pictures till the end of August. We will save us upwards of $420 (can you believe that is how much we pay for 3 months of service?) to spend on summer activities.
Hannah is having a hard time losing the cable but she will adjust. I think it is important to teach the girls to go without and how to cope. I hope I am going to be a good example and not give in before the end of the summer break.

3 comments:

princessica said...

I am so sure that this will change the girls lives. I only usually have cable in the winter. I can find tons of other things to do that are much more fun and worth my time than just sitting inside and watching the tv...um, well, i'm stretching it a bit, but summer really is a great time to spend that cable money on camps for the girls, or maybe a craft kit, or a special swim suit, there are so many better things you will get. Bravo to you and I totally suggest you get a rogers /blockbuster gift card for the fam, as dvd's will surely fill the appitite for tv. way better, and they arent too long!
Love ya!

princessica said...

oh, and I have never grown tomatoes , but I'll find out from wolfgang and barbera ( they have a huge farm).

none said...

I think this is a great idea! We do need your cell phone number though :)

Have fun spending time with the girls!