Saturday, June 7, 2008

Bees, Butterflies and Snails... O My!!!

All of a sudden the temperature jumped from the low 60's to the mid 90's in the matter of 24 hours. We have no air conditioning (What's the point? Its winter here 9 months out the year). These are two important facts to remember when reading the following...

Last night (Friday) I got home from grocery shopping to find a SWARM of 200+ Bees at my backdoor. I have never seen so many Bees up close and personal, and frankly it is not something I want to experience again. The girls and I RAN to the front door, trying to be as calm and secretive as we could, we did not want them to follow us. Well you know me, I have 1000 thoughts running through my mind trying to think of an extreme solution to this extreme problem!! Weird enough, the first thought that popped into my head was that I hoped that these bees were not Honey Bees. The Honey Bee population is in danger and I am about to wipe out a whole colony. Chef first, Bee Slayer second.

We got inside the house and about 20 Bees had made it inside. Let me tell you that Wasp and Hornet spray kills on contact, I am soooo lucky that my neighbor had some. I was like the Bee Hunter for the next few hours, patrolling the house to make sure no other Bees had broken in. My neighbor went outside and sprayed the swarm as I looked safely out my back door window. I am a coward, and I am not too proud to admit it. Bees were dropping like flies (ha ha ha) but more and more just kept coming, so we decided that a exterminator was going to have to be called. We can't get one until Monday!

So we still have an angry or a mildly ticked swarm of bees outside the house and we can't open the windows....or the doors. I am afraid that an Army is going to attack in defense of their comrades who died in battle. It's 90 plus degrees in the house and we are dying. I went upstairs and the gerbils looked as though they were walking towards the light. I am sure that if I would not have gotten to them when I did, this would be a completely different blog. I moved the gerbils downstairs, splashed them with water and made sure they were going to live. You might say to yourself, "Boy she has a lot on her hands", no... no; Wes is getting out from work early, the one time in the whole year, and he is bringing three people home from work for dinner in a couple hours. So, while I was resuscitating the gerbils and killing Bees, while calming the children and putting away the groceries, I was making a gourmet meal! I had the oven on, and all 4 burners, in my 90 degree house, and I CAN'T OPEN THE WINDOWS!!!! I would like to see them do that challenge on Survivor. I really think I got heat exhaustion, but dinner was fabulous. Wes went out when it was cooler, and the bees had gone too bed, and HEAVILY sprayed that whole area with tons of poison. They are no where to be found, does anyone else think this is odd that 200+ Bees have disappeared? Sorry there are no Bee pictures; taking pics was the last thing that was going to happen in that chaos.

P.S. SNAIL WATCH, DAY FIVE - Alive and Happy!!!

We went to the Children's Museum in Rochester today (45 min away) and went to the Butterfly Garden. I did not get enough of flying insects from the night before. It was good "bug therapy" though, not all bugs want to invade, hurt and destroy you!!! The butterflies were so beautiful and there were so many. The girls LOVED it!!!











There were a couple of new exhibits at the museum: Clifford the Big Red Dog and the Bernstein Bears.



I wonder how much the Tooth Fairy will give me for this baby?!!!

3 comments:

none said...

HONEY BEES! that's the first thing I thought too! Glad noone got stung. I LOVE the pic of Hannah with the giant tooth :)

marcie said...

Holy Cow, that was hilarious. I'm sure it was anything but at the time, but you did have quite a way of bringing all the exciting chaos to life!

princessica said...

okay, my lovely cousin, if there is ever another swarm of honey bees, burn a little bit of paper or wood. The smoke calms them down. what it sounds like is that the queen of a collony went to your back yard, and when that happens, the entire collony follows suit-no pun intended :) -and then they try to find a new place to set up shop. they may have been in your back yard all winter long, as the bees live under ground over the winter.
I wish I lived closer and that I could have come to the rescue. I have never been stung before, and I have been helping out with Barbera and Wolfgang's bee hives. I love it... great job for saving the other pets and cooking another beautiful dinner! I hope you are feeling much better by now. Your such a good mommy. Love the pictures of the butterflies.