Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Goodbye Indy...

Indiana Jones died Friday (Sept 12th). She almost made it to her 2nd birthday (Oct 14). I know she was just a Gerbil, not a dog or a cat, but we loved her just the same: she was part of our family.

I was very sad (and yes I did cry)...I was grateful that the girls were at school. Really it should not have come as a surprise, she never exercised a day in her life, and all she did was eat.

Wes and I brainstormed of ways to tell the girls, thinking that they would take the news hard. I took them to the mall, bought them their favorite pretzel and we sat down on a bench (public places are always better, the girls usually are more reserved). I started off by saying "I have some sad news," they were both curious and asked me, "What?" I then told them that Indiana had died. The first thing out of Hannah's mouth was "Now we are closer to getting a Guinea Pig!!!" (We told the girls that when the gerbils died we would buy a Guinea Pig) That's Hannah for you...I know that she was sad and was trying to be strong for the rest of us but always looking at the bigger picture.
Audrey had a delayed reaction. At first she was concerned for Mocha, she did not want her to be lonely, and then she was fine. It was not until later that night when she had been in bed for a couple of hours that she woke up crying and heartbroken. I comforted her and explained the lifespan of different animals, and Indiana was old and had lived a very comfy life.
The next morning Audrey wrote a letter to Indy saying goodbye, and Hannah drew a picture and taped it on her wall by her bed, and I did the best thing to cure sadness, we went to the chocolate shoppe. We each got some chocolate and said goodbye to Indy. Later that night the family went to Petco and looked at Guinea Pigs...they were sooooo cute. Wes felt like he was betraying Mocha, it was so adorable, I love seeing that softer side to him. It was a sad weekend but this has been one of the more important lessons about life we have taught the girls.

P.S. I promise when Harrison Ford dies, I will say "Harrison Ford died." When I talked to Megan, and Mom (and she talked to Dad), I told them that Indiana Jones had died, they were so shocked that Harrison Ford had passed away...no, no, my gerbil. I think they were all relieved that Harrison did not die, I too am thankful that Harrison is still with us.

2 comments:

marcie said...

There are plenty of good pets that aren't dogs... and don't get me started on cats :)

Cristine said...

Ha ha ha ha...Hannah sounds like Juls...she wants spike to die so she can have a puppy...no puppies!!! :)