Friday, September 5, 2008

Dear Hannah

Today is Hannah's 6th birthday. I was thinking about the day that she was born and how long ago it seems but how fast the time has flown by.

Hannah often asks me the story of when she was born so I thought that I would document it on my trusty blog.

Dear Hannah,

This is the story of how you came into this world.

Daddy and I had a hard time getting pregnant with you, but then we got the Happy news that you were coming to join our family.

You craved ice cream cones without ice cream and loved to eat all the time. You kicked Mommy a lot and always had the hiccups.

You were almost named Haley but at the last minute Daddy agreed with Mommy about naming you Hannah.

You were born 4 weeks early but, don't worry, by the time you were 3 months old you were extra plump.

September 3rd 2002 -
I was doing my work study at Salt Lake Community College. Daddy and I were both going to school, Daddy was finishing and Mommy was just starting.

I knew that you were coming but Mommy was in no rush to get to the hospital. I went home, took a bath, made sure I had everything I needed, and we took Audrey over to the Butler's apartment. We then went up and down the stairs (5 stories) 10 times. You probably think this is silly...but I was in labor with Audrey for 37 hrs. Just so you know, 37 hrs is one full day and half of another one. Mommy did not want to do that again. Mommy & Daddy wanted you to come into this world much quicker than that. You were born at Jordan Valley hospital, the same hospital as your Aunt Danielle. Your Doctor was Maria O'Neida and she was Aunt Danielle's Pediatrician.
Daddy and Mommy played card games (I won a lot) and took strolls around the maternity floor. Great Grandma came and helped to take care of me. Grandma was living in California and she did not get to Salt Lake until a few hours after you were born.

You came in 12 hrs!!!!!!!

On September 4th @ 5:00 a.m. you were born. You were so small and pink you looked like a little piglet, but much cuter. You were crying very loud. You weighed 5lbs 13 oz and were 19 in long. You had no hair. The doctor put you in my arms and Daddy cut your umbilical cord. The nurses then took you and wiped you down and wrapped you in a blanket and put a little white cap on your head. Mommy and Daddy were so happy. We told you that your name was Hannah McClain Ireland Jordan. Daddy gave you lots and lots of kisses and cried. Great Grandma held you and gave you lots and lots of kisses and cried and then Mommy held you for a very, very long time and gave you lots of kisses and cried.

Doctor O'Neida told Mommy and Daddy tht you were having a hard time staying warm and that you had to have some tests done. The nurses took you to a special room and put your little arm in a cast so that they could give you an I.V. and special medicine. This made Mommy and Daddy very sad. Mommy rocked you in a rocking chair in the little room and told you were going to be alright. Grandma got to the hospital and Daddy went home to get some sleep. Grandma wrapped you up like a little burrito and sang to you and gave you lots of kisses and I don't think she cried.
Daddy went home and got Audrey (who had a cold) and brought her to see you. She gave you so much love and held you for the first time. Audrey watched Sesame Street when she came to visit you. Audrey brought Mommy McDonald's (that was happy).
We had to spend two extra days in the hospital but you were starting to stay warm all by yourself and you got all better.

We took you home to West Valley, you had a "baby animal" bedroom. You took your first bath in the bathroom sink and you slept a lot. We had been home for a day when you stopped breathing, this really scared Mommy and Daddy....Mommy turned you over and hit your chest as hard as I could and you started to breath. Everyone was really scared but after that you have been perfectly healthy and perfectly loved.

You are such a good girl, you are so kind and caring and Mommy , Daddy and Audrey are so happy that you came to our family. You have had a hard 6yrs of life compared to many children but you have given Mommy strength and courage and the will to fight...that makes Mommy love you even more then I will ever be able to express to you in words.

Happy Birthday!!!!

Love,
Mommy

(*Next week I will add pictures to this blog.)

3 comments:

Megan said...

Awwwww.
That is a good idea for a blog.
Hannah will treasure that for a long time.

Cristine said...

I forgot that Hannah stopped breathing...scary! :( But I sure hope that you didn't mean the part where you hit her little chest as hard as you could...girl you could have broken her bones!! Very cute blog! I like doing the same thing but with pictures..I like to review their little lives. Love ya

princessica said...

I'm teary :)
you are such an amazing mother. Good you had the instinct to hit her cheast to get her to breathe again. wow, that must have been intense.
.....
this is a wonderful layout too. can I have a new one too? :)))))