Friday, September 5, 2008

Almond Joy?

I have been craving lots and lots of chocolate lately...what's new. I have been sick of eating the same chocolate, so I thought I would experiment. I got hooked on Lindt's - Chocolate with Chiles & Cherries; very, very good...sweet with a nice heat. I have been going through a bar about every 2 days, and had to go to the store on Saturday to pick up another. I started getting these tummy aches and thought it was just because the time of the month.

I was watching Alias (Season 3 disk 4) last night and, all of a sudden, it occurred to me that I was crunching on something and did not recognize the flavor...so I looked down at the wrapper and panic set in as I read the name of the chocolate I had been eating. Cherries with ... Almonds!!!! (The wrapper was identical to the Cherries & Chilies.) I never had an Almond before so it made sense that I did not understand what I was eating. Usually when I eat a nut my throat starts to swell up, and all kinds of other nastiness happens: like the time I ate some pesto, (which I loved) but pesto is made with pine nuts, and swelled up like Odo from Deep Space Nine; or the time I ate a walnut in a chocolate chip cookie...the stomach ache was so bad that I compare it to being in labor. European chocolatiers like to put hazelnuts in their chocolate and I wish I did not have such a severe reaction, it is very similar to what happens to me if I come in contact with a peanut but not as bad.

I had eaten half the chocolate bar and just sat there on the couch waiting for catastrophe to hit, but then I realized that is why I had been feeling like a seagull who had eaten an antacid. All I was going to have was a slightly painful tummy ache...no big deal.
I finally was able to taste an almond and not have to depend on somebody trying to describe the taste to me. I still have not had cashews, macadamia nuts, brazil nuts or pecans. Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't. Almond joy has nuts...Mounds don't:P

3 comments:

Megan said...

I am VERY GLAD that you did not have to go to the hospital!

Cristine said...

Hum...maybe you shoudl try some of the other nuts too?! Maybe some might not kill you.

princessica said...

hi!
I am so glad you were okay! thats very good that you were not allergic! so, what do you think about almonds?
please dont have any more sience experiments alone, okay? if you want to try more, do it with wes close by!!!