Tuesday, May 6, 2008

A Love Letter

I am not really sure what a blogs purpose is; Fun, information, to state ones opinion to make money. I am under the belief that a blog can also be used as a history (or journal) of important things, things that has happened in ones life.
I was on the phone with a friend today (Hi!! Kim) and we were talking about websites and blogs and I referred her to my jennyjordan.net website for the Leukemia...a place I don't often think about, well the first thing that I thought about when thinking about the site was the letter that Wes wrote when I was going through treatment, and fundraising. Certainly this letter is important enough to be journaled on my blog. When I read the letter tonight, five years after Wes wrote it, the letter had a different meaning to me from when he had written it. It was the sweetest love letter and a complete devotion for my health and emotional well being. It is not your typical love letter, it not full of prose and mushy sentiment but something much, much deeper than that. I am putting this letter on my blog as a reminder to me and anyone who reads it that love really can conquer all and even though life was horrendous at the time we made it through and we have endured as a family. I hope one day I will be able to honor my husband as much as he honors me in the following;

~Hello. I am writing on behalf of my wife, Jenny Jordan, and the Jenny Jordan Leukemia Fund. She is dying from leukemia, a cancer of the blood, and we are trying to raise money for medical treatment that could save her life.
When approached for donations, one seems to ask if the cause is as important as the big issues of the day; such as troops in Iraq, homeland security, the economy, child abuse, etc. Our cause is just as important because it addresses two components of the question of medicine in our nation: medical aid and a cure for cancer.
Any donation would be helpful, but due to the nature of our situation, we need large sums of money, and quickly.
It has been asked as to why we should receive these substantial grants. After all, wouldn’t you be more willing to contribute if there was something in it for you? That which Jenny has chosen to endure is a clinical trial of a new treatment to replace the need for bone marrow transplants. This test is needed to help improve the drug that would allow more people to be treated for cancer without having to find a match for bone marrow donation.
Why does Jenny deserve to have this money given for her sake? She is a mother to two small children who could be left with one parent because of her death. Our society works hard to encourage two parent homes, with a mother and a father. This battle for the fabric of our society must be more than one of moralities. Even with a legally binding marriage, Jenny and I may be separated by death, and the children left motherless. Many families are torn apart when a parent is killed as a result of shootings, car accidents, and industrial mishaps. In Jenny’s case, her life can be saved, but only with help.
The reason we are faced with having to trouble others for help might very well be because I have not provided adequately for my family. We do not have insurance (which would not cover any of this anyway) or large reserves of money because of my inadequacies. I take full responsibility, but we still need all this help.
I am aware that the money you could use to donate to our cause was earned from hard work. Also, you may wish to reward yourself in some way for this hard work. Please realize that you have resources that could save a life, preserve a family unit, and help two children to have a better opportunity than without your help.
Even if we can not get the funds we need for the medical treatment, and Jenny does not live beyond the two years she has been given, we will still need to be able to pay for her funeral; as well as all medical bills that have, and will be, accumulated.
We are expected to compete for support with the rest of that portion of our community. Why should we receive any help over the others? We can not begin to receive the necessary funds from any groups organized to fight cancer. Therefore, I hope to appeal to this forum in a manner unlike any other so as to "win the competition" on behalf of my wife.
The ordeal of cancer threatens to take my wife from our family. People often say they would live life to the fullest if given a short amount of time before dying. Without large donations, given before our deadline, she will have had to spend a portion of her last days begging for people to help save her life. We would much rather she spend her last days with her children, or at least those last days before she must endure the indefinite rigors of a new treatment to gain a little more time.
Jenny has had to deal with radiation and chemotherapy, the loss of her hair, the pronounced insensitivity of her peers, and the excessive pains of her ailment. Is it just that Jenny beg for small donations only to have raised enough for her funeral? That is to say if such a small amount survives the medical bills.
Please do not assume that we are interested in our dignity any longer. To wear a shirt with our daughters’ picture next to words saying "Please help save our Mommy’s life" is not below us.
Neither am I ashamed to quote Charles Dickens in A Christmas Carol:
" I wish to be left alone," said Scrooge, "Since you ask me what I wish, gentlemen, that is my answer... I help support the establishments... they cost enough: and those who are badly off must go there."
" Many can’t go there; and many would rather die."
"If they would rather die," said Scrooge, "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population..."


For anyone who is wondering if we accomplished what we set out to do...well I am writing this blog in 2008 and feeling wonderful and loved.

2 comments:

marcie said...

Thank goodness for wonderful husbands! You have a keeper ;)

Anonymous said...

there are tears of joy that you are here still, and so loved. I am sorry that I wasnt there for you then- we had lost contact for so long...I promise to always be here for you no and always, my beloved cousin, my best friend and my sister :)
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxox and just as Marcie said, your Wes is such a keeper.
love you,
Jess