Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Update

I am allergic to Lentils...I learned something new about myself. They are in the legume family, same as the peanut (peanuts are a legume not a nut, but I still consider peanuts nuts just out of sheer stubbornness). We went over to a friends house for dinner on Saturday and had this delicious lentil soup (by the way I have had lentils before) and the next morning my face was swollen and my eyes were all puffy. Very sad because I enjoy lentils. Lets just all be grateful it was not a jelly donut.

(Note - The rest of this blog is political, read at own risk)

We have technology back in the house and just in time to watch Wall Street have one of the biggest financial fiascos in history. Yay us. I got to see the first Presidential Debate. I was completely unmoved and disappointed. I didn't see any real change...the only thing I have going for me is that I like one guy a little more than the other, Yippee. I am happy to watch Heroes, Dancing with the Stars and the Amazing Race, but am saddened to see that during our break from technology, world crisis escalated and politics only got worse.

New York State is going to take hardest hit from the resolution not being passed by the government. 28% of New York State's revenue comes from Wall Street. 80% of our education budget comes from the State Budget and they say that the education budget will be the first thing that will be slashed and it is already $9 million in the red. Hold the phone....we can build a new state of the art stadium for the Yankees when the "old" stadium is a historical landmark (Babe Ruth, played there people) and still can be used (in a few months it will be turned into a parking lot) maybe that money should be used to got to the schools. Hmmm...I just do not understand.

This does not mean that I am in favor of this bail-out actually I think that our credit and loan system should get a complete over-haul and maybe this is the rude awakening the dishonest and greedy money lenders need. People have lived on credit and borrowing money for so long that they have forgotten how to survive within their means. I am quite sure that our Congressman and Senators are going to lose quite a bit of money that has been lining their pockets over the last decade or so, from these corporations. Maybe we should heed the advice the Romans gave us and remember - Rome did not fall in a day....maybe we should fix the real problems and learn from the mistakes of our predecessors.

2 comments:

Cristine said...

I'm with you 100% on your political views!
But allergic to lentils?! Can't be...r u sure there wasn't anything else in it that cause that??!!! You had lentils before...lentils are very yummy...I feel for you...so many things you can't eat...hope your list doesn't keep on getting bigger! :( Try to find out for sure...hugs

marcie said...

I also had a really good lentil soup a couple of months ago-- so sorry that you can't enjoy the love, because it really was yummy!