Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Aunt Robyn...I Found The Answer!!

A couple of months ago I was talking on the phone with Aunt Robyn about our tomatoes and how they were still green. We were brainstorming on how to get them to turn red (all the worry was for nothing because ALL 80 dozen - o.k. that is an exaggeration - turned red).

Here is what you do if you are on a time table and you need your tomatoes to turn red;

Put your tomatoes in a brown bag with a couple of bananas and the ethylene from the bananas will turn your tomatoes nice and red. You can also put a couple of bananas next to your tomatoes where ever you are storing them (NOT IN THE FRIDGE) and they will turn..just not as quickly.

This helpful little tidbit of knowledge came from my favorite chef Jamie Oliver...LOVE HIM!!!! Thank you Jamie. So the next time you are bored, let a tomato and a banana hang out and see what happens:)

(We got a little over 18 dozen tomatoes this crop)

2 comments:

Cristine said...

What you can also do is if you still have green tomatoes on your plant when starts to freeze..you can pull the whole plant out of the ground and hang it upside down on your garage...this will aloud your tomatoes to turn green and it will also last longer since it is still in the plant!

Anonymous said...

Jenny I wrote you this clever response but I muffed it somehow and now it is lost forever. Uncle Allen and I have a Blog now but I am blog inept still and that is why I lost the first response. I hope you have had a good time eating all of those yummy tomatoes, fresh are the best. I think you have earned a new name The Tomato Lady. Happy Tomatoing. Halloween is a fun time. We have a tradition of making chili. It's something Uncle Allen and I like and we can make a lot of it and invite friends over while the boys are off doing their thing. Of course they always come home for the chili.
Love ya
Aunt Robyn