Monday, March 10, 2008

Universal Health Care

Wes wrote this blog on his myspace page and I thought it was important enough to put on my blog;

"Try to explain to my five year old daughter, who was born in the United States to American parents, why we can not buy medicine to get her over a bout of the flu. We have insurance, but it does not cover it. We have to pay one hundred dollars. That kind of money isn't just laying around.
Nonetheless, when she gets over it, her immunities will likely be stronger than the rich brats who get these antibiotics at the drop of a hat.
So tell me why everyone should not pitch in to a public pool of money on a regular basis to take care of our populations' health. I will tell you why, because Americans are greedy, selfish, cannot be damned to help their brothers or sisters. And these symptoms progressively get worse in each American as they get richer and richer.
The rich suck, and those who have no families suck even more, because they don't give a crap about the rest of us."

I feel my husband's frustration he works his butt off to take care of us and still he feels like he is failing. It was a horrible feeling taking our sick baby to the Doctor and feeling helpless anyway, and then you can't get her the medicine she needs because you paid the bills, and did not budget in a $100 for flu medicine. We felt like bad parents.
Just because a family has insurance does not mean that they are fully covered, why does everyone assume that insurance means 100% coverage. Sure maybe if the worse illness you get over the course of the year is a cold or if you only have your yearly physical you will never see "member owes" but if you have anything really medically wrong...watch out!!
Our insurance comes out of an HRA account and I (of course the cancer) have already used it up and it is only March!! The rest of the family is suffering as a result, not to mention we will have to pay out of pocket until January 1, 2009, but that is not the kicker at least when we did not have insurance we were not paying United Health Care $160.00 a month for us to pay everything. Really what's the point, sure we get the discount, so instead of Hannah's Tamaflu costing us $130.00 without insurance we are charged $92.50, why is the cost of medicine cheaper for the insurance companies and not for the citizens of this country. I will tell you why because they CAN!!! I bet if I went up to Canada I could get the same medicine for $10.00 and that is because the people told the pharmaceutical companies they CAN'T!!!
I wonder how everyone would feel/react if they bought house insurance and you were told that you were not covered when your house burned down or was damaged in a natural disaster because you did give them "prior notice," or that they were only going to cover one room and you were responsible for the rest of the house. Why can't medical insurance be viewed the same way. No one would stand for it.

We are the only country in the western world not to have universal health care and people don't see anything wrong with that, they actually think there is something undemocratic about giving medical rights to the entire society. People like Wes and myself should not have to wait until those people get sick and then all of a sudden think its a good idea because it has now happened to them. I should not have to move to another country to get these rights, my daughter's should be able to get their care at home in America.

I think I feel better now and I hope Hannah feels better soon too!!!

0 comments: