Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Christmas in November

Well last week was truly unique, we had Christmas on Saturday with Wesley's family for no reason whatsoever.

This was the first weekend Wesley has had off in a long time so it would been nice to have family time and relax. We decided to go to this family get together (that was planned in August) 3hrs away in Albany instead. I thought it would be nice to have a "holiday" with his whole family, the last time they all celebrated Christmas together was 15 years ago. I was WRONG!!!!

To start out with the girls had been sick all week and had just started feeling better. So to say the least they were not there usual easy going happy selves. I had to finish Christmas shopping and the budget in November is not as good as in December because that is when we get our Christmas bonus, so we were not able to spoil the nieces and nephews like we usually do. 6 kids and 2 adults can really add up.

We found out that Wes's Mom was not going to go because she will not drive long distances (5 hrs) after the beginning of October, I thought that was the main reason we were celebrating so early but she would not bend to celebrate with her family in November. O well.

- A personal message to President Bush.... I do not appreciate spending $33.00 to fill up a Dodge Neon. When I bought my fuel efficient vehicle in 2003 it cost $15.00 to fill.

My sister in laws decided to do a turkey dinner and everyone bring 2-3 dishes. I brought yams, chocolate pumpkin squares and chocolate gingerbread cakes. Did I mention that my sister in laws do not know how to cook and have not made turkey, stuffing, or gravy by themselves before. So I got to give the basics of thanksgiving dinner 101. I didn't mind so much, it gave me a chance to get to know them better. They are both in their late thirties and we don't have much in common.

So we eat and it is time to open presents. We lined all the kids up in a row in front of the gifts and I started passing out one at a time youngest to oldest. Well I gave my nephew Ben (5) his gift from us, Meet the Robinsons (if you have not seen this movie rent it, very good) and he threw it down on the ground and started screaming and yelling that he hated it and wanted a toy instead. His parents (Wes's brother and wife) picked him and gave him a hug and told him everything would be alright. I thought I was going to burst into tears. I could not believe that they would approve of horrible behavior like that. Ben opens up his next gift and proclaims he already has it and throws it aside, his Mom tells him that they will go and return it and get something else for him. It reminded me of the Dursleys. INSANITY!!!!!

The girls got Harry Potter Scene It (YEAH!!!), season one of Little House On The Prairie, a High School Musical game, Cinderella game and some toys. They were pretty happy. Wes got a electric screwdriver and I got a picture frame.

So after gifts we went and had dessert and things are going ok....and then Ben puts his whole hand in the apple pie and starts to eat it. It was time to go. Merry Christmas!!!

Audrey had parent teacher conferences last week and we are so PROUD!!!! The teacher had nothing but good things to say about her and she is doing well in math. She must of got that gene from Wes because she certainly did not get it from me. Hannah wrote Jam all by herself today and that is quite a accomplishment, she usually draws the jar of jam. She is very different from Audrey....it is amazing how two children from the same parents can be so different but so alike.

0 comments: