Thursday, June 18, 2009

Holy Cow

Audrey went on a field trip a couple of weeks ago to a local "working" farm. I thought that this was going to be a good experience for her. She has not been exposed to the "country" side of life, it's no secret we are "city" gals.

Audrey comes home from school and tells me that she witnessed the birth of a calf and that it was stillborn. I asked her to repeat herself because I thought I had misheard and she said that she had seen the birth of a stillborn calf and that it was really sad and gross. She then went on to explain that the Farmer told them the calf suffocated and had the cord wrapped around its neck. Some children started to cry and others thought it was cool. Audrey told me that it made her really sad and hurt her heart.

Has everyone lost their frakken minds, not to mention their good judgment? I did not give permission for my daughter to witness a birth and if I had I would of thought the minute the farmers knew the calf was having problems they would have taken the children out of the barn. Well, I had a COW and it was not pretty.
Audrey is not a sheltered child as many of you know, but it is Wes' and my responsibility to introduce certain situation to her...there is not this big rush to let her know everything about everything at the tender age of 8...Call me Crazy. This like me saying, "well we live in the city so lets go down to the local gang and watch them blow someone away because that is normal for this area" (I am not exaggerating either...West Valley anyone?)

True to form Wes and I went and saw the Principle the next day and let him know how disappointed and unhappy this "High Maintance Mother" was. We called into question the judgment of the Teachers and Workers. He told me that it is a "working" farm and is suggested by that title...well excuse my naivety. I have written a letter to the farm expressing my outrage and just because it is a "working" farm does not mean that everything has to be shown...why don't you just take the kids down to see the cows get slaughtered and dressed if that is your attitude.

1 comments:

Cristine said...

Sorry but your kids principle it's an idiot....to think it's ok to aloud the kids to stay and watch that because they were in a "working farm" wonder if it would be still ok if it was his kids, grandkids. Good thing that they wont be there next school year!