Thursday, June 18, 2009

Skaneateles Here We Come

We are moving on July 11th to our new house and it not a duplex!!! Yay!!! This is the third duplex we lived in a row and I am so ready for my OWN single family house.

We are moving to a village called Skaneateles (skinny-at-less) right on the Skaneateles Lake, the house is about 5 blocks away. Wes’s work is only a 3.5 minute drive. Audrey’s school is right around the corner to the left (grades 3-5) and Hannah’s school is a few blocks away around the corner to the right (grades K-2). I am VERY HAPPY Audrey is not going into middle school next year, that would have happened if we had chosen to stay in Marcellus. 4th grade is too young for middle school.

The house is a Victorian Colonial built in 1894 and has been completely refurbished except for the kitchen but we will tackle that problem later. It reminds me of a house that Anne of Green Gables would have lived in and I fell in love with it instantly. It is a smaller house, living room, dining room, 3 bedrooms 2 full bath (washer and dryer in the downstairs bath, which I love). It has a great big backyard with extensive flower gardens (lets pray I get hit with lightening and all of a sudden my black thumb turns to green) and a large front porch that wraps around the front of the house. Porch Swing here I come!!! We are in a great neighborhood… so no more band sessions at 11:00 at night, no more pitbulls and partying teenagers and inconsiderate neighbors. I can’t wait till the 11th.

The house does have some downfalls, the kitchen is really small and I only have one counter. It is the only room in the house not to have had a major renovation so it still has the orginal one-basin kitchen sink with a place for your dish rack but no counters. There are no counters around the fridge or the stove (the stove is electric, that will be remedied … I need the flame). There is no light switch and it has the old paneling for the ceiling and I am not going to even talk about the tile on the floor. The kitchen has white and red wallpaper …horrible. Wes and I found a beautiful Tuscan wallpaper with grapes and I am going to make it look like an old world Italian Mamas kitchen. The rest of the house makes up for the kitchen though: there is the most beautiful Victorian wall paper in all the rooms, real hardwood floors, the bathroom downstairs has a vaulted ceiling and the bathroom upstairs has the original claw bathtub … so classic. It has a spiral staircase and windows abound, all the light in the house is amazing. There is a stain glass window in the front foyer of the house and it makes me smile just thinking about it.

I am going to have a lot of fun making this house our home.

1 comments:

Cristine said...

How is your new home coming along? Have you been able to start dressing the windows since you already have the keys? Sure hope to be able to pay you a visit one of these days...would be so much fun! Hugs