Tuesday, February 17, 2009

The Rocky Economy

( Warning I'm about to rant and rave so read at own risk)

Wes and I have been together now for 10 yrs and it has only been the last couple of years that we have been financially comfortable, and I mean comfortable like I can buy the roast at the super market and not have to worry about using gas money. I can even occasionally buy a movie and not feel guilty.

I am getting really sick and tired about hearing how bad the economy is right now, like this is something new. Hello, there has been a majority of us who have had to scrimp and save just to make ends meet...we have already been living paycheck to paycheck. What really set me off is Hannah brought home a Parents & Child Magazine from school the other day and there is an article called "A Silver Lining - Our rocky economy offers timely opportunities for family bonding, life lessons, and yes, fun."
Such as; renting DVD's, going to the library or park or playing games at home. The article suggested that your child will become acclimated to these mundane activities and might actually start having fun. What the? I am sure there was a time when you gave your kid a stick, a rock, and a can and said knock yourself out. I mean, what have families been doing for together-time that I am not aware of...I am sorry they can't jet off to the Caribbean for the weekend. I have been hearing everywhere that families now have the opportunity to spend quality time together because they are broke.

Call me naive but why aren't families doing thse things no matter what economy we live in? I think there is a much bigger problem than just how much money they have in their wallets.

I am VERY thankful that Wes has a job that we do not have to worry about him losing and I am happy that we are moving up the financial ladder but I would like to think that no matter how much money we have we will always make time for our family and spend time together.

I have so much more to say on this topic but I am going to finish this rant for now.

2 comments:

princessica said...

I know, with starting up my business, I am irritated by the negativity some people have to offer as advise...like: "maybe not now"...but all I can think is "If not now, then when?" I think that lots of people have been irresponceable with their money, but that is indeed their choice. The rest of us, we live paycheak to pay cheak and we are better for it. Life is sweet when its kept simple. I agree with you, and I could write on this topic too!
congrats to you for not spoiling your childeren!

Anonymous said...

Just checking in on your cute little blog... you need to have some more sunny days so you can entertain me :). Anyway, completely agree with this. Maybe it's what some people needed.